I'm glad to see that Tammy Phan took up my proposal last year to fix parking on campus, but what she's done with it is well, disappointing to say the least. It sounds as if it is designed to fail.
Let's go through an email from ASCMC on this very point. As I see here, here are the rules.
- You have to show up to a ASCMC Senate meeting, which, admittedly is a chore, with your student ID.
- There are only twenty spots being offered for a lot that has well over a hundred vacant spots. Those spots will be decided by a lottery, which is dumb. It should be decided by an auction. Making people pay what the garage will bear will almost certainly guarantee that we pay for whatever trash or detritus is left behind.
- You can't charge it to your account, which means you have to sell out cash or check and turn it over to ASCMC. (Yeah, that's safe with the same people who lost a speaker.)
- You have to have a CMC parking permit to get a Scripps parking permit, which makes absolutely no sense. Do we make Scrippsies pay to attend our parties? No? Why are we paying through the nose here?
- Freshmen are banned (again) from having a car on campus, which again makes absolutely no sense.
- Finally I totally trust ASCMC to administer this. Because you know they have never flubbed anything up before!