1. As you see it, what exactly happened and what is your opinion of the ban that Dean Holmes put on the students?
I think the ban is a disgusting violation of the spirit and the letter of the Claremont Colleges and that Dean Holmes has committed a grave error in judgment that doesn't befit an Associate Dean of Students. Dean Feldblum didn't even talk to the boys before she sent out an awful email to the entire Pomona campus.
2. Do you know if they will be doing anything to fight this ban?
Both Kyle and David have informed me that they will be fighting the ban until it is rescinded. Over 500 people have joined the "Don't Ban Kyle and David from Pomona" facebook group. It was only created three days ago!
3. Do you feel that the students were within the rights to behave like they did at the Women's Union presentation (ie. video taping)?
I don't "feel" as if they were within their rights. I know they were. Statute 632 B of the California law allows anyone to record a public event even if the parties don't consent to it. The law is very clear about this. As for the behavior of the students, I've watched the video in its entirety three times now and they show characteristic politesse. Kyle, don't you know, will be the valedictorian of Claremont McKenna.
4. I know your not directly involved in this, but you have taken a lot of interest in it on the Claremont Conservative-- what is your involvement with this incident?
I was the one who gave David the flyer advertising the talk and suggested that he go. I have taken an interest because it shows the hypocrisy of Dean Marcelle Holmes who has not and will not punish the Pomona students for their disruptive conduct during the illegal immigration debate or the vandalism of the Karl Rove protests.
5. Why did the students attend the presentation at the Women's Union?
As I understand it they saw it as an opportunity to have a dialogue about abortion. Both VOX and Live Action want people to understand and be "aware" of abortion, for obviously different reasons. In the past, VOX has said that they don't want to "legitimate" the views of Live Action by debating them.
6. How do you think this situation should have been handled?
I think nothing less than an apology from Deans Marcelle Holmes and Miriam Feldblum will do -- and of course, a complete reversal of the ban, a stated policy that this won't happen again, and an email to the entire Claremont Colleges student body apologizing to David and Kyle personally.
7. Do you know what, if anything, CMC's deans are doing about this?
So far the CMC deans' response has been unfortunate, but I suspect that as they get more and more emails from concerned alums that they'll change their stated policy of not caring. The comments on the blog against Dean Fid Castro in particular have been very critical, to say the least. I strongly disagree with CMC's decision to hand over mug shots of the boys to be distributed to Pomona RAs, as if they were wanted criminals.
In short, I hope to be able to eat in Frary with my friends again -- and soon!